Magnesium, vitamin D and Vitamin K2 are vitamin and minerals that are vital to several bodily processes. Though they occur naturally in a variety of foods, many people take supplements to help increase their intake.
Magnesium, Vitamin D3 and Vitamin K Dosage
The typical daily dosage recommendations for these nutrients are:
- Magnesium: 400–500 mg
- Vitamin D3: 800 IU (20 mcg)
- Vitamin K : 120mcg
Food With Magnesium, Vitamin D3 and Vitamin K
Magnesium: dark chocolate, avocados, nuts, leafy vegetables, and legumes
Vitamin D3: avocados, nuts, seeds, full-fat dairy products and eggs
Vitamin K: turnips, spinach, kale, brocolli, soybeans, carrots, Chicken
If you’re concerned you may be deficient in any of these nutrients, talk to a health professional who can test your levels and determine whether you should eat more of these foods or take a supplement.
Benefits and uses
1. May support bone health
Magnesiumplays a key role in converting vitamin D into its active form, which aids calcium absorption (Trusted Source). Therefore, you can minimize your vitamin D requirement by making sure you’re also getting enough magnesium. Research has confirmed higher magnesium intake helps reduce your risk of vitamin D deficiency by activating more ofit.
Agroundbreaking 2017 reviewcompiled over 80 studies that showvitamin D3 and K2together might be greater than the sum of their parts, when it comes to bone health.
This is likely because vitamin D gets the calcium into the blood, then vitamin K tells the calcium where it is most needed.
Taking vitamin D3 and K2 together actually promotes new bone growth. In 2019,researchers observedthat vitamin D3 and K2 worked in tandem to form newosteoblasts, the cells that secreteosteocalcin, which is a biomarker for new bone growth.
Taking bothmagnesium and vitamin K2can lower your vitamin D requirement.
2. May elevate your mood
Magnesiumis fundamental to brain signals and processes (Trusted Source). If you don’t meet the daily recommendations for this mineral, taking supplements may help elevate your mood.
A review of 18 studies suggests that taking magnesium may reduce feelings of anxiety among people prone to this condition. That said, researchers pointed out that none of the studies used a validated measure of subjective anxiety symptoms (Trusted Source).
Furthermore, a recent analysis on depressive symptoms noted that magnesium supplements had little effect in controlled studies despite showing promise in observational studies (Trusted Source).
Due to conflicting findings, more research is needed in this area.
3. May strengthen immunity
Magnesiummay boost your immune system and reduce inflammation. While inflammation is a normal immune response, chronic levels of it can damage your health and promote illnesses like cancer and heart disease.
Supplementing with magnesium has been shown to reduce markers of chronic inflammation, such as C-reactive protein (CRP) and interleukin 6 (IL-6) (Trusted Source,Trusted Source).
Conversely, magnesium deficiency has been linked to chronic inflammation (Trusted Source,Trusted Source).
4. May help control blood sugar levels
Magnesiummay also regulate your blood sugar levels.
An analysis of 32 studies in 1,700 people revealed that taking zinc significantly reduced levels of insulin, fasting and post-meal blood sugar, and hemoglobin A1c (HbA1c) — a marker of long-term blood sugar control (Trusted Source).
Moreover, research suggests that magnesium may aid blood sugar control in people with diabetes by enhancing your body’s ability to use insulin — a hormone that moves sugar from your blood into your cells (Trusted Source).
An analysis of 18 studies in people with diabetes indicated that magnesium supplements were more effective at reducing fasting blood sugar levels than a placebo. Plus, blood sugar levels dropped significantly in those at risk of this condition (Trusted Source).
5. May improve sleep quality
Magnesiummay improve your sleep quality. Studies show that magnesium helps stimulate your body’s parasympathetic nervous system, which helps you feel calm and relaxed (Trusted Source).
Best Magnesium, Vitamin D and K2 Supplements 2021
1. Naturelo Plant-Based Bone Strength
- Made with Plant-Based, Whole Food nutrients
- Contains Calcium and Magnesium from Marine Algae, Vitamin D3 from Lichen, and Vitamin C from Organic Acerola Cherries.
- Includes 10 vitamins & minerals including Vitamin D, K2, C, Zinc, Magnesium, Manganese, Potassium, Boron, and Silica.
- Healthy Calcium Absorption: Vitamin D3, Magnesium, and Vitamin K2 are crucial co-factors that help your body to absorb and use calcium properly, so that it goes into your bones rather than your arteries and soft tissues.
- Powerful Benefits: Studies show that adequate calcium and vitamin D as part of a healthy diet, along with physical activity, may reduce the risk of bone loss later in life. Older women are particularly at risk for bone loss.
- No GMOs, Soy, Gluten, Yeast, Dairy, Eggs, Nuts, Caffeine, Coloring, Preservatives, or Flavoring. Free of Animal By-Products. Appropriate for Vegans and Vegetarians.
I was diagnosed with osteoporosis 20 years ago. I have tried many different prescriptions. Some kept my bone density the same but with the last one it became much worse. Last year I decided to stop taking my prescription and try Naturelo Bone Strength Supplement along with hormone pellets. I was thrilled upon receiving my latest bone density results! For the first time ever, my bone density not only improved but so much so that my diagnosis is no longer osteoporosis buy osteopenia. I am so excited about this supplement! I have been telling everyone about it!
4.6 out of 5 - 4,781 global ratings
2.New Chapter Calcium Supplement
- Calcium with Vitamin K2 + D3 + Magnesium
- Vegetarian, Gluten Free
- 180 count (2 month supply)
- Plant calcium from sustainably harvested Red Marine Algae
- Expertly formulated with Vitamin D3 for better absorption, Vitamin K2 to direct calcium to bones (where you need it most), magnesium and 70 whole-food trace minerals
- Slim, easy-to-swallow tablets with slow and steady release
- USDA Organic, Non-GMO Project Verified
- 100% Vegetarian, Kosher, Certified Gluten Free by NSF, Sustainably Harvested
We compost, recycle, or reuse more than 80% of the waste we produce – everything from lunch leftovers and office paper to pallets and shrink-wrap. New Chapter is also Zero Manufacturing Waste to Landfill certified.
I am over 65 and have taken medication that has a correlation to bone density loss for almost 20 years, so to get these results without prescription bone meds is miraculous.
4.7 out of 5 - 2,927 global ratings
3. Smarter Nutrition Vitamin D3 with Vitamin K2
- Plant-Based Vitamin D3 Immune Support with Vegan K2 Complex in a Vegetarian Softgel
- Includes 5,000 IU of Vitamin D for Immunity Boost, Complete Bone Health & Arterial Protection
- 4 NATURAL INGREDIENTS | Smarter Nutrition Vitamin D3 is encapsulated in vegetarian softgels with organic extra virgin coconut oil for faster bioavailability than powdered products. The medium chain triglycerides (MCTs) in coconut oil provide quick energy for the body and enable fast absorption of the fat-soluble vitamins D3 and K2.
- FULLY BIOAVAILABLE VEGETABLE SOFTGELS | Using cutting edge technology, Smarter Nutrition Vitamin D3 is encapsulated in clinically proven and patented vegetarian softgels, free from chemical coatings, fillers, and synthetic binders. Using cutting-edge technology, we deliver premium, plant-based vitamins D3 and K2 in coconut oil to make Smarter Vitamin D3 fully bioavailable.
- 5,000 IU OF VITAMIN D3
I really like the Smarter Nutrition D-3/K-2. They are in a veggie soft gel and have the best high potency vegan forms of D-3 & K-2 (MK-4, MK-7). Most competing products only include a small amount of Vitamin MK-7 and this product contains a good clinical dosage of both MK-4 & MK-7 which is important to get the full list of benefits.
One of the great benefits is the reducing of calcium in the arteries, pineal gland (third eye), and can help with scar tissue from injuries (shoulder and ankle for me). I can feel a genuine immure boost from this product and my family is taking it too with good feedback.
4.8 out of 5 - 2,429 global ratings
4. Nutra Champs Women's Multivitamin
Promotes Overall Women's Health - Caringly crafted to meet the everyday nutritional needs of women, NutraChamps Women’s Multi is fortified with vitamins and minerals to boost energy, manage weight, strengthen the immune system, prevent aging, and support all areas of health.
Complete & Comprehensive Formula - There’s nothing more important than your health, which is why NutraChamps never cuts corners. With over 40 vital ingredients, NutraChamps’ advanced multivitamin provides comprehensive nutritional support to boost all areas of women’s health.
Designed by Women, for Women - We’re serious about women’s health, which is why we scientifically designed this multi to include everything your body needs for optimal daily function: Vitamins A, C, D, and E plus B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B12, as well as Spirulina, Calcium, Cranberry, Dong Quai, and Magnesium - the list goes on. The ABC’s of a woman’s wellbeing.
I was not taking care of my body for a few years. I was out of shape, tired a lot and showing signs of high blood pressure and hormonal imbalance. I decided to give more focus to my health at the end of 2017. In addition to adding more exercise and changing my eating habits, I was taking individual supplements i.e. Vitaming B Complex, Vitamin C, D3, B12, Iron etc. I wanted to take just one supplement, so I did some reasearch on multivitamins. Everyone is different and this multivitamin includes what i’ve determined that I need to support improving my overall health. I’ve been taking it since June and have seen an increase in my energy and just feel better overall.
Ratings: 4.6 out of 5 - 536 global ratings
5. Nutra Champs Bone Strength Supplement
- Plant Based Calcium, Magnesium, Potassium, Zinc, Strontium, Vitamin K2 D3 & C
- Best Whole Food Vitamin & Mineral Complex Pills for Bone Health
- 120 Vegan Capsules
- We use Calcium and Magnesium sourced from red algae, straight from the pristine waters of the Icelandic coast, and our Vitamin D3 is 100% plant-origin and organic.
- Complete Bone Building Formula - It takes a symphony of ingredients to build strong bones, and NutraChamps strikes all the right chords. Nutrients like Calcium , Zinc, Copper and Manganese reduce bone loss, and Vitamin D3 and Boron improve bone mass. We even added Strontium to slow bone breakdown and Vitamin K2 to regulate Calcium usage. It’s music to your bones!
- NutraChamps Bone Strength is engineered for maximum bioavailability, and contains ten premium mineral cofactors to enhance calcium absorption: Magnesium Glycinate, Zinc Chelate, Potassium, Manganese, Boron, Strontium, Silica, and Vitamins C, D, & K. Last but not least, BioPerine boosts absorption to make sure all of these powerful nutrients get put to use.
This bone supplement is a very good product. Since taking it now for a couple of weeks I have noticed I have more energy. Who would have thought a bone supplement would do that? Well I am here to tell it is. My joints seem to be more relaxed and an injury I had to my neck which is connected to my bones is somewhat diminished in pain. I only would like the capsule to be smaller due to swallowing difficulties but other than that a GREAT product. Once again Nutra Champs has lived up to my expectations. Give this product a try.
4.5 out of 5 - 255 global ratings
6. BioSchwartz Bone Strength Supplement
- Contains Calcium + Vitamin D3, K2 and Magnesium
- Purity tested & allergen free: Each batch is third party tested.
- No GMOS, soy, gluten, milk, egg, wheat, peanuts, or shellfish.
- No preservatives, artificial ingredients, fillers, chemicals or color additives.
Formulated by professionals: Each one of BioSchwartz’s professional grade supplements is created by a team of highly experienced healthcare professionals in the USA following strict GMP guidelines to ensure the greatest benefits are achieved
I really like this calcium supplement! It has great ingredients and is a better price than a similar product I used to use. Taking calcium with magnesium, such as the ingredients in this supplement has been very helpful to me, including decreasing some pain I have had. I can feel when I miss taking it for a couple of days. I would highly recommend this product!
4.6 out of 5 - 384 global ratings
7. HMS Nutrition Calcium, Magnesium, Vitamins D3 and K2
- 120 Vegan Capsules, 60 Day Supply
- Supports Lung & Immune System Health, Strong Bones & Teeth
- Free of GMO's, gluten, soy, dairy, eggs, nuts, preservatives and aritificial flavoring.
- Calcium Orotate and Calcium Aspartate for higher absorption.
- Manufactured in the USA
- Manufactured in a registered and inspected facility under strict cGMP standards
Vitamin D3 (as Cholecalciferol), Vitamin K2 (as Menaquinone-7), Calcium (from Aspartate [550mg]; Orotate [500mg]), Magnesium (from Aspartate [300mg]; Oxide [250mg]), Vegetable Cellulose capsule ZERO Fillers/Binders/Artificial Ingredients
So far this is a great combination of the essential minerals and vitamins for good bone support. I like having this combo of ingredients to get the calcium and magnesium with my Vit D3 plus K2 for support for the teeth and bones throughout my body. Plus the ratio of mg per item is super in this combo product. So far I am pleased with this product.
4.7 out of 5 - 111 global ratings
8. Solaray Cal-Mag Citrate
- Calcium & Magnesium Citrate 2:1 Ratio w/Vitamin D3 & K2 |
- 180 count, 30 Serv
- Each 6-capsule serving provides 1000mg Calcium & 500mg Magnesium Citrate
- Bioavailable: 2:1 ratio of these essential minerals, chelated to Citric Acid for enhanced absorption
- Non-GMO, lab verified for purity & potency & manufactured in our own facility
- Our Cal-Mag Citrate is blended into a special herbal base of parsley, alfalfa, watercress and dandelion root for added nourishing support.
This product is a citrate and comes in the ratio of 2:1 Calcium/Magnesium recommended by my Ayurvedic Doctor. This is my first purchase of the Solaray brand and will be reordered because of the fact that it is a citrate and the right ratio.
4.7 out of 5 - 103 global ratings
9. Sapling Algae Calcium
Algae Calcium is Algae-Based, sourced from red algae. Mineral-rich red algae harvested from the North Atlantic seabed comes with the benefit of calcium surrounded by magnesium, vitamin K2, vitamin D3, and trace minerals. Nature's plant-based calcium, sustainably harvested.
- Whole Food with Vitamin K2 & D3, Magnesium, Zinc, Boron, Mineral Complex
- Sourced Sustainably from Red Algae.
- Non-GMO & Vegan
- 90 Capsules
- Our Vegan Calcium is sustainably sourced Red Algae.
- Our Algae Calcium has 600mg of elemental Calcium, 800IU of Vitamin D3, 60mcg of Vitamin K2 and more per serving.
- Contains Vitamin K2 and D3, Zinc, Manganese, and Boron.
- Sapling Algae Calcium is Vegan, Non-GMO, Gluten Free, No Colorants, and no Artificial Flavoring. - Bottled and manufactured in the United States.
- For each bottle we sell, one tree is planted : Eden plants trees across 8 countries and 174 project sites, including Nepal, Madagascar, Haiti, Indonesia, Mozambique, Kenya, Honduras, and Nicaragua.
- In collaboration with our tree planting partner, Eden Reforestation Projects, we are Helping Fund Reforestation, Revitalize Ecosystems, and Empower Local Communities.
- Certified Plastic Negative by rePurpose Global : For every bottle purchased, two bottles worth of plastic is recovered and processed. Through our partnership with rePurpose Global, we fund the recovery and processing of twice as much plastic waste from nature as we use in our bottle. "Low-value" plastic (candy bar wrappers, chip bag wrappers, etc.) is recovered and processed, that would otherwise be landfilled or flushed into oceans. All of our products will carry a negative plastic footprint.
Vegan as we know but not certified GF so felt it was important to state that IMO they are safe for celiacs. I am very sensitive to gluten and been taking these for several days now with no issues. They don't have a weird smell as some vegan products do. Do my bones feel stronger? Lol I don't really know but I haven't broken anything since taking them. I think this company is doing good things, they say they plant a tree for every bottle purchased! And they are made in the USA. Overall I will buy from this company again.
4.7 out of 5 - 90 global ratings
Both vitamins are fat-soluble and work together to metabolize calcium in your body by activating helpful proteins. While vitamin D3 improves your calcium absorption, vitamin K2 allocates where that calcium can be used.
When you aren’t getting enough calcium from your diet or supplementation, vitamin D may get the calcium it needs from your bones. So in order to prevent the bones from weakening, vitamin K2 helps promote the calcification of your bones while regulating and reducing the damaging effect of the calcification and hardening of soft tissues (such as blood vessel walls or around the major organs).
2. Should vitamin D be taken with magnesium?
Your body needs magnesium to make Vitamin D absorbable. Enzymes in your liver and kidneys need magnesium to break down vitamin D and convert it into a form your body can work with.
One important function of vitamin D is that it helps the body absorb calcium, which in turn plays a part in how your body absorbs magnesium. Without magnesium, vitamin D can increase calcium levels and lead it to deposit itself in soft tissues, where it can be toxic and bring about certain health problems.
3. Is it better to take D3 with K2?
Formulations with Vitamin D3 can be improved by Vitmain K2. The anti-inflammatory and immune-related properties of Vitamins D and K2 may have synergistic effects with each other. Thus, Vitamin D3 may be safer and more effective with K2 to balance calcium in the body.
Taking both vitamins together may help reduce the risk of developing conditions such as osteoporosis, or other chronic diseases like kidney or heart disease.
Vitamin D enhances the absorption of calciumfrom the intestinal tract into circulation, while vitamin K2 aids calcium’s transport into bone tissue. Additionally, vitamin D promotes the production of osteocalcin from the bone-building osteoblast cells, while K2 serves to activate osteocalcin to perform its calcium-transport function.
Best Calcium, Magnesium, Zinc and D3 Supplements 2021
Quercetin, Zinc, Vitamin C and Vitamin D: Can They help Against Coronavirus?
Best Vitamin D3 and K2 Supplements 2021: Benefits, Reviews and Prices
Vitamins and Supplements Resource List: Index and Directory 2021
Magnesium, Calcium and Zinc Supplement Review 2021